Frequently needed pages

Tuesday 28 June 2011

An Angel Shouted 'Hoi!, What's Your Game Chummy?!

If you ever wonder if the gods, whoever and wherever they may be, have a sense of humour, this should give you an idea...

I had forgotten about this incident until recently; I was looking through some old diaries and found this from December 1976...I was just 14 at the time...

'Today started out well at school, we had all clubbed together to buy John Boy, (name changed to protect the guilty!), the bloke we all fancied, a Christmas present. We bought him a cigarette lighter, but decided we didn't want him to get lung cancer, so we wrote a warning on the wrapping paper.

I was the only one brave enough to give it to him (out of a form of about 30!), so we all signed the card and at lunchtime I went to find him. I did find him, but he was snogging a sixth former in one of the labs...so I waited until they came up for air, and then gave it to him, on behalf of all of us.
I think he liked it, he said thank you a lot!'

The poor chap must have been terrified at the thought of 30 manic hormone ridden teens all lusting after him...and as for writing a warning on the present not to smoke...oh god the whole thing is just too painful!

I was always the one who went up and asked, who crept into empty classrooms and left notes in desks...I think I was hoping it would give me a greater sense of being included; I was lucky to have some very good friends, but I suffered from lack of confidence...and made up for it, by appearing over confident.

Over the years I have managed to mostly get it under control; anxiety can make us behave in all sorts of bizarre ways...I have even asked for Jim 'Here's what you would have won' (Bullseye) Bowen's autograph on behalf of a work colleague in a hotel in Woverhampton!

The moral of this story is don't take yourself too seriously, and don't feel obliged to do all the daft things you are asked to!

...And if the angels didn't have a good laugh setting me up for that last one, they really don't have a sense of humour!








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Snoozy place

No comments: